Sunday 21 September 2014

30 minutes skirt - yes, really!

Are you looking for an ultra-quick project? Have you ever done any last-minute holiday sewing? Would you like to sew with knit but are somewhat afraid of it? If so, read on! 

I have tried out too many patterns which claimed to be "1-hour projects", but an afternoon later, when I´m still sitting in front of the sewing machine, with tired legs, back and eyes, I do wonder how on earth I can be so much slower than the "average" seamstress. In fact, I´m not sure if I´ve ever started and finished one sewing project within the hour... until now! 

I came across Simplicity 1368 from the Summer 2014 collection, and decided to give it a go. Although I have got an overlocker, and have used it on several occasions, I still have a fear for jersey. This pattern looked really simple, yet effective, so I decided that it was going to be the perfect starter project for me to start my sewing journey with knit. 

It did not disappoint. View A has one pattern piece, one fabric piece (as it´s cut on the fold), and only one real seam to sew! And better still, all of this can be done with a normal sewing machine, which is exactly what I did. I also liked that it´s very understated - it makes no bold claims about how quickly it can be done, so even if I did take a while, I wouldn´t feel so inadequate to have taken a longer-than-expected amount of time. 

So here it is! 

 It doesn´t even look like something that I knocked together in half an hour, does it? 
And here´s a close-up

I had this 4-way stretch knit in my stash, and it´s wonderfully soft. I love the funky and busy print, and thought it was ideal for this maxi skirt. 

I cut the pattern in a size 6, and the only alteration I made was to shorten it slightly. I didn´t even need to bother with a hem, as knit doesn´t ravel. With the elastic casing at the top, instead of a straight stitch I used a zigzag, to prevent any risk of the stithcing snapping under pressure, and literally a few minutes after cutting the pattern piece, I´m done! I couldn´t believe how easy this was. 



In case you were wondering where I am, I´m spending the weekend in Barcelona before flying to Beijing! It´s been really lovely so far, but I couldn´t wait 2 weeks before sharing this wonderful little project with you! 

So here´s the question - what´s the quickest project that you´ve done? Be it a cushion cover, a gadget case, a skirt, a top, a dress - please share with us! 

6 comments:

  1. You've got to love a nice, straightforward pattern! Your experience really shows in the fit and the fabric choice - really pretty and suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm normally a bit sceptical about maxi skirts for my frame but this slim version works for me. It's super comfy to wear and I think it is going to be my new in-flight wear!

      Delete
  2. Looks great, I'm definitely adding that pattern to my shopping list. Since Sewaholic's Gabriola I've been thinking of making a longer skirt, and I think this could be the one! Enjoy your trip,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! Yes I would highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  3. That fabric is really beautiful and the skirt looks very nice; it sure doesn't look like it takes 30 minutes to make. Enjoy jour trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sabine! I was really surprised by how quick and easy it was, and how happy I was with the result!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...